Sunday, July 25, 2010

That French-Sounding Drink

If you haven't heard of the new McDonald's Frappes, then you have been living in a hole (forgive me for not inserting the accent mark - I can't figure out how to insert one in this formatting system). They are on every commercial, radio broadcast, billboard and subway stop.

Yet, despite the wide broadcast of how to pronounce the name "Frappe," there is an equally wide array of mispronunciations. Apparently French words are a little difficult for the average New Englander, or "New Englandah," should I say. Not that I am blaming them - I don't see why the fast food industry is cashing in on fancy coffee drinks, espressos, and most of all French-named drinks.

Top favorites:

Frappees: Yes, pronounced just how that looks. It's so hard not to laugh when some rough and tough Northern construction worker comes over the intercom system and says, "Yeah, can I get a mocher frappee?"

Frapp...aae: Then there are the timid ones. The ones who feel like idiots for mispronouncing it, but who don't want to pronounce it the "right" way because they feel too uppity.

Frappe: Pronounced like the alternative to a milkshake up North. This one is understandable, and I think the safest option. This is the one that I use from time to time, because it is one syllable. No, despite my rantings, I am not one of those employees who will correct your pronunciation of the drink over the intercom system. I just do it behind your back on my blog.

Frappaccino: This is the Starbucks alternative, and legally at McD's we're not allowed to call the drink this. Not even kidding - there's a posted rule.

Iced Mocha Frappe: Alright now. Don't confuse us. We're McD's employees after all. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment